OUR 2016 FIELD GUIDE:
Our Experiences / Basic Procedures form:
1) Focus Group Discussions (FGD) 2) Semi-Structured Interviews (SSI) 3) Specialized Interviews’ 4) Questionnaire
In order to be clear on the objectives of our assignment, and for our respondents to know what we are doing for our partners prior to the discussion of substantive issues, we
- Introduce ourselves /the team
- Explain the purpose of the research and for whom the research is done (if required)
- Explain how the discussion / interview will be structured
- Explain arrangements for feedback and how the information provided will be used
- Solicit the consent of our respondents and assure anonymity
- Inform our respondents that they are free to stop the discussion at any time
- Get permission for taking notes, and if necessary and acceptable, record and take pictures
- Allow division of labour; one staff asks question; another takes notes and if necessary asks follow-up questions while another staff takes photos.
- Entertain questions prior to and after the interview
- Finally, we seek permission to tour the community / inspect the project
Questions and Report Structure: The objectives of the research as clearly spelt out in our partner’s Terms of Reference(TOR) will dictate the draft questionnaire. It will then be submitted to our partner for revision and editing. Where it is necessary, quantitative and qualitative indicators are taken into consideration. Finally, the questionnaire is finalized and re-submitted for approval. Rest assured that the objectives of the project will be captured in any one of our several models.
Reporting Structure: Prior to the commencement of desk review or during our negotiation process on roles, responsibilities and cost, we often request for the reporting format of our partners. In cases where a reporting format is not available, we recommend ours for review and approval. Over the years, we have benefited immensely from our partners in improving our reporting format. Prior to the submission of our final report, a draft report is submitted for review and input from our partners.